Reporting Crime on Campus

University community members, students, faculty, staff and guests are encouraged to report all crimes and public safety related incidents to police or security in a timely manner. Bystanders or witnesses are encouraged to report when a victim is unable to report.


On campus
University of Michigan Police Department
Dial 911 if it is an emergency or
(734) 763-1131

Off campus
Ann Arbor Police Department
Dial 911 if it is an emergency or
(734) 994-2911

To report a crime or an emergency, call 9-1-1. The call will be answered by the U-M Division of Public Safety and Security Communications Center (DPSS CC) if on-campus, or for the Ann Arbor Police Department or other appropriate law enforcement agency off-campus. Calls from on-campus blue-light emergency telephones directly access U-M DPSS. Police dispatchers are available at these respective agencies 24 hours a day to answer your calls.

If assistance is required from the Ann Arbor Fire Department, Huron Valley Ambulance, the Ann Arbor Police or other law enforcement agency, U-M DPSS CC will contact the appropriate agency. If a sexual assault is reported, staff on the scene, including U-M DPSS, will inform the survivor of a wide variety of services. The Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC) also will be contacted. SAPAC has trained staff who are available to assist a reportee 24 hours a day.

Information on criminal activity also may be reported anonymously by calling the University’s Anonymous Tip Line at (800) 863-1355. The Ann Arbor Police Department also has a police tipline at (734) 794-6939.

Confidential Reporting

Persons who are victims of a crime and do not want to pursue action within the University system or the criminal justice system still may want to consider making a confidential report. With permission, the UMPD Police Chief or his designee can file a report on the details of the incident without revealing a victim’s identity. The purpose of a confidential report is to comply with the victim’s wish to keep the matter confidential, while taking steps to ensure the future safety of the victim and others. With such information, the University can keep accurate records of the number of incidents involving students, determine where there is a pattern of crime with regard to a particular location, method, or assailant, and alert the campus community to potential danger. These reports of crimes can be given to any Campus Security Authority, such as a University Housing staff member; Division of Student Life staff; Athletics coaches; Office of Student Conflict Resolution; University deans, directors and department heads; student judicial affairs; senior human resource directors of Staff HR Services, Academic Human Resources and UMHS HR Staff and Labor Relations; and advisors to recognized student organizations. Reports filed in this manner are counted and disclosed in the annual crimes statistics for the institution, however identifying information remains anonymous.

Campus “Professional Counselors” such as Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC) staff, when acting as such, are not considered to be a campus security authority and are not required to report crimes for inclusion into the Annual Security Report. However, as a matter of policy, they are encouraged to inform persons being counseled of the procedures to report crimes on a voluntary basis for inclusion into the annual crime statistics. A professional counselor is defined as an employee whose official responsibilities include providing psychological counseling to members of the University community and who is functioning within the scope of his or her license or certification or under the supervision of a professional counselor.

Reporting Crime Off Campus

Members of the U-M DPSS do not provide law enforcement service to off-campus residences of recognized fraternity and sorority organizations nor are off-campus activities recognized by University authority. Criminal activity at recognized fraternity and sorority residences as well as other off-campus properties should be reported to the Ann Arbor Police Department. The close working relationship between U-M DPSS and the Ann Arbor Police allows staff to record and publish criminal activity near the campus and at non-campus locations housing recognized student organizations as appropriate. The Division of Student Life maintains contact with recognized fraternity and sorority organizations through the efforts of the Office of Greek Life.

Obtaining Crime Reports

Requests for incident reports or traffic crash reports by persons involved generally will be processed when the investigation is completed. University of Michigan faculty, staff or students are not charged for obtaining report copies when involved in the reported incident. Individuals involved in the incident who are not affiliated with the University will be charged a fee to process the request.

The University of Michigan Police Department is committed to complying with its obligations under the Freedom of Information Act (F.O.I.A.) without undue delay, but realizes that under certain circumstances the release of records may have an impact on victims, witnesses and the integrity of investigations. If an investigation is on-going and still open, a request for any related UMPD report may be denied and information of a personal nature will be withheld or redacted where the public disclosure of such information would constitute an invasion of privacy.

For further information on the Freedom of Information Act and its applications to the University, refer to the FOIA Office website:

To request a copy of a report or ask other related questions contact the UMPD Records Unit at (734) 763-3434.