Contact Us



Find the answers to your most frequently asked questions! Have a question we haven’t answered already? Email us at

General Questions

DPSS was created in 2012 to unify police and security functions for the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Our departments include the University of Michigan Police Department, Michigan Medicine Security, Housing Security, University Security Services, Emergency Management, Communications & Technology Management and Business Administration. For more information about DPSS, please visit the About Section of our website.

UMPD works very closely with AAPD to ensure the safety and security of the U-M community. As a full-service law enforcement agency working to help prevent and reduce crime, our U-M police officers are licensed by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES). Buildings and properties owned by U-M are the primary focus of our enforcement, and our officers also assist AAPD in patrolling nearby off-campus neighborhoods. For more information, please visit the about UMPD webpage.


Property Protection

You can register anything with a serial number with UMPD. Find out how on our registration page.

Lost or worn registration stickers cannot be replaced. However, you can re-register your item to get new stickers. To do so, follow the instructions below:

  1. Visit the property registration page
  2. Delete the current registration for your item
  3. Re-register your item

If you know the general area in which you lost your item, we encourage you to contact the facility manager for that building (as they may have a lost and found). After some time, lost items of value may be sent to UMPD or Michigan Medicine Security. For more information, visit our lost and found page.


Crime Reports

Crime Alerts are issued to U-M students, faculty, staff and subscribers whenever DPSS leadership determines a reported crime to be an ongoing or continuing threat to the university community.

You also may view our daily Crime and Fire Log or the Annual Security Report & Annual Fire Safety Report for statistics.

For emergencies, dial 911. If you are on campus, you also may use the blue-light emergency phones. For information on how to report crimes that are not emergencies, including how to report online, please visit our reporting page.


Alcohol and sexual assault policies

U-M follows state of Michigan laws and university ordinance, which prohibit the distribution, possession and consumption of alcohol by anyone under 21. We also use evidenced-based strategic intervention to prevent and reduce the harmful consequences of alcohol and drug use. For more information, please read our safety tips page and U-M’s Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) Policy.

Students receiving alcohol citations are subject to sanctions through the legal system and U-M’s student conduct process. Sanctions may include fines, counseling, education and community restitution. For more severe violations or repeated offenses, students may be subject to suspension or expulsion. Please review U-M’s Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) Policy for more details.

Residents of University Housing also are subject to sanctions through their housing contract and the Community Living at Michigan standards.

The University of Michigan does not tolerate violence of any type, including sexual violence, intimate partner violence or stalking. We encourage survivors to report their experiences to law enforcement and to U-M. There also are confidential resources available for survivors, including the Sexual Assault, Prevention, and Awareness Center and Counseling and Psychological Services. For further assistance and information, please review our sexual assault awareness page and the Our Community Matters resource guide.

Please review U-M’s Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities.

Student Legal Services also can advise you on your legal rights and, if necessary, represent you. Please visit their website for more information about consultations and any limitations.



Possession and use of firearms, dangerous weapons and knives are prohibited on U-M property, including concealed carry. Exceptions and other information can be found on our safety tips page regarding weapons on campus.

Skateboards, roller skates and roller blades are prohibited on U-M property. Bikes are allowed. However, motorbikes and other motor vehicles cannot be operated on the Diag. For more information, please refer to the Regents’ Ordinance.

All animals must be properly leashed on campus. No animals can be brought into U-M buildings or vehicles, except for service animals. Other details can be found in the Regents’ Ordinance.

To ensure your safety and security, U-M offers a variety of free and low-cost after hours transit options around campus and to nearby locations. For more information, please visit Logistics, Transportation, and Parking.