Contact Us



Need an incident report or police record from the Division of Pubic Safety and Security (DPSS)? To request a copy of an incident or traffic crash report, please submit this online form.

If you were involved in the incident, you can expect your request to be processed once the investigation is complete. Current U-M students, faculty or staff who are involved in an incident will not be charged for obtaining report copies except for traffic accident reports that will be obtained from an outside source. Individuals who are not affiliated with the university will be charged a minimal fee to process the request.

To ask other related questions, please contact the University of Michigan Police Department (UMPD) Records Unit at (734) 763-3434 or

Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)

DPSS is committed to complying with its obligations under FOIA without undue delay. However, under certain circumstances, DPSS takes into consideration the impact the release of records may have on victims, witnesses and the integrity of investigations. If an investigation is ongoing, a request for any related DPSS report may be denied and information of a personal nature may be withheld or redacted where the public disclosure of such information would constitute an invasion of privacy.

For more information on FOIA and its applications to the university, refer to the FOIA Office website.