The University of Michigan Police Department (UMPD) offers a ride-along program, which allows a passenger to accompany a police officer during part or all of a work shift. You can see firsthand the daily workings of law enforcement and gain a better understanding of the challenges and rewards of being a police officer.
If you are interested in scheduling a ride-along, please complete the form below. You also can contact the UMPD Patrol Services Lieutenant for more information at (734) 763-3434.
- The shift supervisor has the discretion to deny a ride-along for any valid reason, such as knowledge that there is an ongoing criminal investigation with the person requesting to ride-along.
- Unless riding in an official capacity, a warrant check will be made on all persons requesting a ride-along.
- No persons under 16 years of age will be permitted to ride-along.
- If the rider is under 18 years of age, a liability waiver must be signed by a parent or guardian.
- The person requesting the ride-along must sign a liability waiver and confidentiality form.
- There will be no more than one ride-along scheduled per shift. In addition, a ride-along will only be scheduled when there is sufficient staffing available as determined by the shift supervisor.
- Instructions of the officer to whom they are assigned shall be followed, such as staying in the patrol vehicle, returning to the vehicle and remaining at a designated place during any perceived hazardous situation.