This form only applies to cameras with a primary purpose of deterring, preventing or investigating crime or threats to public safety and security. All security cameras installed anywhere on U-M property must be in compliance with the Proper Use of Security Cameras (606.01) policy in the U-M Standard Practice Guide (SPG).
A U-M department or unit seeking security camera installation must have approval from the department’s or unit’s dean, director or delegated executive authority before submitting the request form. Once the form is submitted, the Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS) will provide final approval.
DPSS will maintain a record of this registration. Access to the information will be on a need-to-know basis only. Information related to campus security procedures is not subject to public release via a Freedom of Information Act request.
After you have completed this form, please email any additional documentation in support of this application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only one registration form per unit is needed, regardless of the number of cameras to be installed.
Please email any additional documentation in support of this application to email@example.com. Supporting documentation could include:
- Security camera locations: Include detailed description of locations with public area / building name, floor, room number (e.g. NW stairwell, second floor, SE entrance, etc.). Including a building schematic or floor plan would be preferable. When feasible, also identify in which direction camera should be pointed.
- Common areas: In facilities where common spaces shared by multiple units are being considered, identify these units and confirm that appropriate authorities in each unit agree to the security cameras being installed.
- Secure storage location: Iidentify the location of a secure storage area for recorded images and provide the name and contact information of the staff member primarily responsible for controlling access to the secure storage location.
- Unit-specific technical specifications
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: (734) 763-8391